Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Goals :)

goal (noun): the result or achievement toward which effort is directed;aim; end.

goals. we all have them. we all make them. and we all achieve them. whether they be on a large or small scale, each and everyday we are accomplishing our goals.

i love setting goals, and i love the feeling of accomplishing them (it might have to do with the whole checklist thing - you know, crossing things off. ;)) but, it isn't just to cross them off my list - it is the feeling of accomplishment that comes afterwards. knowing that i tried my best and put forth a lot of effort to complete something that i wanted to complete.

one of my goals this summer was to work hard to earn all of the money i needed for my schooling. CHECK. my parents are always willing and very generous with helping me, but i am required to pay for my schooling on my own. sometimes i hate it and get jealous when i see kids doing whatever they want with their parents money - but then, i just have to step back and know that in the end i will be better off, and more appreciative of my schooling knowing that i was the one that paid for it myself. now this goal wasn't accomplished easily. i was working 14 hour workdays 5 days a week, and 3-5 hours on saturdays. i also picked up extra projects on the weekends such as baby-sitting and helping out at my old studios dance tryouts. i felt like i didn't have much of a summer vacation, but i enjoyed both of my jobs very much (working at GPP and the Salt Lake City Mosquito Abatement) and i can proudly walk away from the summer knowing that i did ABSOLUTELY everything i could and worked as hard as i could. i didn't miss out on a thing. :)

another one of my goals this summer was to get my body back to how it was before i left for college. college was quite the adjustment for me. i never had to worry about my weight or what i ate in high school. i mean obviously being a girl and being a dancer i was aware of my weight but i never thought "hmm if i eat these 5 cookies i might see it on the scale tomorrow." so, i had that same mind set going into college. yes, i was still pretty active - but not nearly as much as i was in high school, and lets just say my roomies LOVED treats. i mean who doesn't right?! but we had cake, cookies, ice cream, and brownies at least twice a week! and it wasn't just one brownie that i ate...it was 3 or 4. and well, the pounds started to stack. first semester i had it pretty under control but then second semester i lost it. i gained almost 10 pounds and i honestly wasn't happy. in fact, i was very unhappy. most people probably couldn't tell a difference but i definitely could. when i went home for the summer my co-worker and amazing trainer lizz could tell i was mentally and physically unhappy as well. yeah, i was still in pretty good shape - but i knew i wasn't in the best shape that i was capable of being in. i couldn't wait when the semester was over so that i could go back to GPP and work with the amazing trainers there. i was convinced that it would only take me 2-3 weeks to get it back. i was shocked when those 2-3 weeks went by and well...i wasn't back to what i wanted to be at! so, i had a nice sit down talk with my amazing boss and trainer, Neil Anderson. i told him what i wanted (which was to get back to my old weight and really tone up my body - my back/shoulders/legs) and what i was eating then i asked him to fix me. the first thing he told me was to try to lose the number. everyone has a specific weight burned into their minds as to what their ideal weight should be. whether it is realistic or not. i may be one of those people. but, neil knows exactly what he is talking about so i did my best to listen. i focused more on the toning part of my goal and i knew when i followed the outline of dieting that he gave me and continued to work out at GPP i would see the pounds drop but he just told me to get to a point where I FELT GOOD. where i PERFORMED WELL. and was continuing to STAY HEALTHY. i worked out almost everyday and cleaned up my eating habits. and now, i am proud to say that i feel great. yes, it took me a lot longer than i thought it would but i did it. i believe that this is the best shape that i have been in in my entire life. and let me tell you - i EARNED it. a lot of people will often look at me and just assume that i am small and don't have to work for the body that i have. but I DO. if i never worked out and always ate crap - believe me, i would be very overweight. i struggle just like everyone else.

by reaching this goal i am motivated to stay at the level of fitness i am - surpass it even! i feel more motivated to push myself in my workouts and make healthy eating habits because i like what i have and i want to keep it!


(sorry, i hate selfies but i was alone and didn't have a choice) i feel a little awkward putting this picture up but i want to be open on my blog. i want people to know that they can do it and see results if they work hard and really put their minds to it. but here are a few pics of my new toned back/shoulders that i am proud of. yes, i am flexing and i promise i don't look like a man - but yes, i am toned and i love it. some random kid told me the other day that he thought it was gross when girls are toned. well he can stick it - haha cause i like it.
thank you GPP!

another goal that i set over the summer was to have a better school year than i did last year. it was a year full of ups and a lot of downs and i really want to enjoy it more this year. i never thought that being a part of the spirit squad and aggiettes again would help with that but it has. i am absolutely loving it 100x more than last year, and training my team has made me seriously so happy. someone once told me that "happiness isn't an emotion - it is a choice" i couldn't agree more. i am going to make the best out of everything and CHOOSE to be happy. :)

today with my team i did a more fun workout called "a la carte'"


my legs and shoulders are sore this week so i thought some cartwheels and abs would be just what i needed. it was! the team loved it and they always seem to enjoy when we do abs. i am happy to please :)


jessie showing off his carwheeling skills




not bad caleb!


great form sadie - right infront of your eyes on those kettle bell swings :)


reach for those toes jordan!


tick tock tick tock






so you know how i said my legs were sore - kinda and understatement. they are REALLY sore! so today after practice i went on a slow 2 mile run trying to loosen them up a bit. it helped a little - but the best part was i found a perfect spot for my key when i go running.
how convenient! ;)


oh and campus was freaking gorgeous today. kept me motivated during my run. i really do love being an aggie. ♥

anyways, that's all i have for you tonight. i hope you all enjoyed this post, and maybe were inspired just a little bit. that is what i am working for. i would love to be inspired by your stories too.

what are some of your goals?

thanks for reading!

xoxo,
lil kate ♥

4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this post. What you have said here about setting and accomplishing goals is inspiring. You are wise beyond your years!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks janetha! i hope i can inspire other people as well - you inspire me everyday! love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe what an amazing writer you are. And that BACK shot - FRICKIN amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. all thanks to you Neil. seriously though - thanks for the motivation. you make me want to keep writing!

    ReplyDelete