Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ballet Blast and "The Burpee Mile"

hello hello!
it is thursday and officially the beginning of a very short fall break. oh well! short or not, i am grateful for a day off to be able to go home spend time with my family, go on a date with a cute boy, and work at GPP - just a few of my favorite things :)

anyways, today i want to touch on a couple of exciting things that have happened and are happening this week.  yesterday i went to my very first "ballet blast" class.  let me tell you, I LOVED IT! i was pleasantly surprised as to how hard it was!  ballet blast is a very unique workout that you have probably never seen or done before. it combines aerobic exercises with basic ballet technique to give you a workout you will definitely remember the next morning. it works on a lot of cardio and toning/ shaping. exactly what most women want. ballet blast is great because it is perfect for women of all ages, and there is no need for any previous dance experience - you catch on quickly! and, the best part of it is? - it is SO MUCH FUN! my good friend Julia Williams was the instructor last night and she did an amazing job. she never skipped a beat and kept the entire class pumped up the entire time.  if there are classes near you i would definitely recommend giving it a try!

here is a picture form last night's class!



now, on to "The Burpee Mile" :) my amazing gym GPP, has put together quite the charity event set for this Saturday.  it is one mile of burpees. i know that one mile of burpees seems overwhelming- impossible even, but anyone can do it. whether you do the entire mile or just one single burpee, you can come participate and make a difference.  everyone is going to start together and everyone is going finish together. "The Burpee Mile" will be remembered for a long time. it is $5 to register for the event and $20 for a t-shirt (sneak peek of the shirt here). all proceeds are going to the charity "No More Victims", a group fighting against child abuse. 


i have been so inspired these past three weeks as the event has been created and advertised. the number of sponsors that have contributed to the event and the number of people participating is absolutely amazing. i love that we as a community can combine forces and use our fitness to help others.
my amazing boss Neil Anderson puts it all much better than i can so here is a little article that he posted on the GPP website a couple of days ago.  i loved it so much i just couldn't not share. thank you Neil, Lizz and Meg, thank you GPP, and thank you to the amazing community that has helped make this event possible.

Said best by Neil Anderson:
"My health is one of my most treasured gifts. I am grateful for it daily. I realize not everyone has been blessed with this gift. Because of this, I realize that having good health does not come without responsibility. I love the thought of being able to take some of the health I have been blessed with and use it to directly benefit someone else (albeit in a small way). I have long felt that there is no greater usefulness for the act of becoming healthy and fit than to use it in service of another. I believe if more people would put the health they feverishly forge through exercising to this kind of good use - we'd live in an entirely different world. One that would be much better in EVERY regard.

The other thing I believe is, WE all have the power to create this "different world" here and now.

It has already taken root. I am humbled to report the support behind the Burpee Mile has been enormous. I am proud to be a part of such a unique and kind community. And I'm not just talking our GPP community. This cause has transcended our influence. It has brought to itself gifted and caring people who are willing to put aside differences and unite for a superior cause. It is inspiring to know such generosity and humanity exists in such large quantities.

Here is the thing, our combined influences are limited. (Haha, maybe not so much if we'd have started a little earlier. 3 weeks from conception to delivery isn't much time for something like this). So, to make a difference for those who need it, we'll need your help. Please become involved if you can.

Going around the community to invite folks to a "mile of burpees" has been a funny experience. I've never gotten funnier looks. I realize the incredible fear that this invokes. I have the fear myself - bad! But, here is my perspective on it all.

Whatever my fear of burpees ... Whatever the pain I imagine awaits me from doing a mile of them ... all of it PALES in comparison to those who have truly suffered.

Perhaps, as an individual I may not be able to contribute much to this from almost ANY other perspective. I certainly cannot erase terrible things that have been inflicted upon the innocent. But I shall surely try to provide relief where I can. And, by HELL I've got SOME burpees in me. Maybe not a mile of them, but surely SOME. What I have, I intend to give.

If you feel like me, and can contribute anything to a worthy cause, please join us this weekend for The Burpee Mile. "

i truly hope that all that can participate do. and, if you are offsite - do it too! simply register online with the link above and start burpee-ing! i plan on doing it offsite saturday afternoon in logan. if any of my logan peeps want to join me - i would LOVE the company!

enjoy your weekend!

xoxo,

lil kate♥

No comments:

Post a Comment